The purpose of this qualification is to obtain a nationally recognised qualification in the law enforcement environment and to uplift the professional standards of policing.
Learners will be able to identify, assess, formulate and solve problems while performing tasks related to maintaining public order, prevention of crime, investigation of crime, combating crime and protection of people and property. The Unit Standards in this qualification will allow progression and mobility to obtain further managerial competencies. Elective standards will further allow for progression and a career path into specialist areas. The qualification will make provision for the movement of learners between different environments.
Learners will be able to implement strategies to assist personnel in the handling of stress and in having an in-depth understanding of motivation techniques. These learners will also be able to lead a team, apply management skills and delegate tasks.
The learner obtaining this qualification will enhance service delivery to the internal and external clients that will enhance satisfaction and trust. Qualifying learners will be able to conduct limited policing operations, apply resource management at the lower management level and apply interpersonal skills in a law enforcement environment while balancing constitutional and legal rights of individuals with the competence to legally infringe those rights in the service of maintaining a safe and secure society. Fundamental human rights and adherence to such rights are also contained in this qualification with the focus on upholding and protecting fundamental human rights by creating a responsive and proactive environment in a responsible manner.
A fundamental understanding of the criminal justice system needed for middle management purposes is also outlined in this qualification and this qualification will also contribute to the implementation of preventative actions that law enforcement agencies need to take.
A learner acquiring this qualification will have skills, knowledge and attributes to:
- Apply management skills.
- Implement workplace relations in a work environment.
- Apply applicable legislation in a work environment.
- Utilise a document management system.
- Assess service delivery abilities of an organisation.
- Analyse operational plans for deployment purposes.
Why study with us?
We provide high quality academic trainings that will enable you to get qualified in your chosen field; you will also be provided with a solid foundation to help you build your career or business. We’ll help you achieve your ambitions no matter how big they are and at the same time open your mind to possibilities you didn’t even know existed. Our standards are very high yet, we are easily accessible and affordable to everyone irrespective of their socio-economic background.
- Grade 12 – Matric,
- A senior certificate or
- National Certificate (N3) or a relevant Nated equivalent qualification
- International students with Senior School Certificate can apply.
Learning assumed to be in place:
It is assumed that learners enrolling for this qualification will have acquired all the outcomes in the following learning areas:
- Communication skills at NQF level 4.
- Mathematical literacy skills at NQF level 4.
- Computing skills at NQF level 3.
- End User Computing I
- Introduction to SA Law
- Organisational Communication
- Public Policing & Management
- End User Computing II
- Workplace Relation
- Policing Relations, Training & Development
- Law Enforcement & Personal Development
- Legislation & Policing
- Crime Prevention & Incidence Investigation
- Criminal Law
- Law Enforcement & Organisational Ethics
This programme requires that the student undertakes an internship for a minimum of 12 months in relevant industry after completing the in-class academic study. There is an opportunity for job placement assistance through our industry network after graduating depending on availability.
On completion of the program, student will receive a Diploma in Policing. Qualifications are issued by SASSETA – Safety and Security Sector Education and Training Authority.
Program Accreditation Information
SASSETA – Safety and Security Sector Education and Training accreditation No: ACC/2016/07/0083/PAA002974
Department of Higher Education and Training accreditation No: 2019/FE07/011
Duration, Study Mode & Intake Dates
- Study Duration: 24 months
- Admission dates: January and July every year
Online & Part Time
- Duration: 24 months
- Admission dates: January and July every year
A learner acquiring this qualification will have skills, knowledge and experience to:
- Balance constitutional and legal rights of individuals with the competence to legally infringe those rights in the service of maintaining a safe and secure society.
- Prevent crime by conducting patrols.
- Support a criminal investigation by gathering initial information and evidence of a crime and attend to court duties by giving evidence.
- Prioritise and conduct an armed response to reported crimes.
- Conduct a lawful arrest.
- Safeguard, transport and release prisoners in detention.
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner that delivers quality service to the community.
- Conduct themselves as effective members of a policing team.
- Monitor, reflect and improve on their own practices.