The purpose of the qualification is to provide a structured programme for public officials that work with senior management officials so as to provide support to strategic leadership and management needed to transform all spheres of government. The need for well-qualified efficient, client-oriented public officials is therefore identified as a priority in all the three spheres of government. It is aimed at practitioners working in the public sector. It is a qualification in a career pathway towards an accomplished public finance management and administration specialist.
The National Diploma in Public Finance and Administration consists of exit level learning outcomes covering accounting reporting, administration, auditing, budgeting, economics, information systems, business calculations, risk management and legislative framework for the public sector. The competencies covered in the unit standards encapsulate the competencies required by public officials working at the operational level.
Qualifying learners could follow a career within the Public Sectors in:
- Financial Services.
- Project/Public Entity Management.
Why study with us?
We provide high quality academic trainings that will enable you to get qualified in your chosen field; you will also be provided with a solid foundation to help you build your career or business. We’ll help you achieve your ambitions no matter how big they are and at the same time open your mind to possibilities you didn’t even know existed. Our standards are very high yet, we are easily accessible and affordable to everyone irrespective of their socio-economic background.
- Grade 12 – Matric,
- A senior certificate or
- National Certificate (N3) or a relevant Nated equivalent qualification
- International students with Senior School Certificate can apply.
Exit level outcomes
- Conduct and apply mathematical analyses relating to economics and finance.
- Discuss the selected legislative regulatory framework governing the public sector management and administration environment.
- Apply principles of information systems to public finance and administration.
- Manage and develop oneself in the public sector work environment.
- Apply economics principles to finance and management decisions.
- Apply knowledge of ethical principles and standards of professional conduct in public sector administration.
- Apply communication principles in the coordination of selected public sector communication programmes.
- Apply accounting principles and procedures in the preparation of reports for decision-making.
- Apply the principles of budgeting within a municipality.
- Apply cost management information systems in the preparation of management reports.
- Apply principles, regulations and legislation underlying supply chain management in the public sector.
- Conduct and apply statistical analyses required to make informed public sector finance decisions.
- Prepare and interpret tax reports and returns in accordance with South Africa's tax revenue law.
- Conduct auditing planning and implementation in a South African municipality.
- Analyse and evaluate the impact of macroeconomic data on the operating environment of the public sector.
- Manage the development and performance of human capital in the public sector.
- Apply operations research principles and tools in the management of project activities and resources.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of disaster management systems.
- Conduct working capital management activities in accordance with sound policy.
- Apply principles of computerised systems to manage data and reports relevant to the public sector administration.
- Apply principles of risk management to manage and report risk situations.
- Apply the legislation governing the establishment and management of public entities.
- Plan and implement public-private partnerships for municipal service delivery.
This programme requires that the student undertakes an internship for a minimum of 12 months in relevant industry after completing the in-class academic study. There is an opportunity for job placement assistance through our industry network after graduating depending on availability.
On completion of the program, student will receive a certificate for each level completed and subsequently a Diploma in Public Finance Management and Administration. Certificates and Diplomas are awarded by the Local Government Sector Education and Training Authority (PSETA).
Program Accreditation Information
LGSETA – Public Service Sector Education and Training Authority Authority
Department of Higher Education and Training accreditation No: 2019/FE07/011
Duration, Study Mode & Intake Dates
- Study Duration: 24 months
- Admission dates: Throughout the year
Online & Part Time
- Duration: 24 months
- Admission dates: Throughout the year
• Chief investment officer
• Project manager
• City manager
• Chief operating officer
• Public accounts administrator
• Technical public accountant
• Financial accountant
• Public sector budgeting officer
• Public sector auditor
Related Industry Salary for graduates of Public Finance Management and Administration